The Sunshine Bindery Privacy Policies
- Personal information I collect
Information I Collect:
To fulfill your order, you must provide me with certain information, such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information (for a custom book, journal or greeting card order, for example), if you contact me directly. I will not share this information given with anyone outside of my business, the only exception being for postage purposes, using trusted third party services outside of The Sunshine Bindery such as Royal Mail for customers where they will need your name and postal address. All payment information, email and other personal contact details will remain strictly confidential.
- The legal bases I rely on to collect, use, and share personal information
Why I Need Your Information and How I Use It:
I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
- As needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfil your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
- When you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list;
- If necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
- As necessary for the purpose of my legitimate interests, if those legitimate interests are not overridden by your rights or interests, such as 1) providing and improving my services. I use your information to provide the services you requested and in my legitimate interest to improve my services.
- The third parties with whom I share personal information
Information Sharing and Disclosure:
Information about my valued customers is very important to my business. I do not share your personal details with anyone outside of my business with exception to trusted third parties and services on a very limited basis, for reasons purely for postage and delivery of my item to you as my customer. Your information is never shared with any other companies for marketing or promotional purposes. The trusted services, third parties and limited circumstances in which your information would be shared are listed below:
- Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information (such as name and postal address) with these trusted third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services (i.e. no personal email addresses, telephone numbers or payment details).
- Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
- The length of time I will keep your personal information
I retain your personal information only for as long as necessary to provide you with my services, from primary contact, throughout the production process and until the item is received. Your name, address, contact and payment details are stored through Shopify, which is a secure and trusted server. For my business records, I store confirmation emails (which include your order details) on my Gmail account so that I can keep track of monthly sales targets and use general statistics to improve my business. I may also be required to retain this information to comply with my legal and regulatory obligations, to resolve disputes, and to enforce my agreements. For tax purposes, I am required to keep record of my receipts for the time period of 4 years, after which all payment and contact information will be deleted.
- If transferring personal information outside of Europe, how the transfer will be handled
Transfers of Personal Information Outside the EU
I may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions (such as Shopify). As a result, I may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction. Shopify is a secure and trusted server and complies with it’s own privacy policies. Please refer to these for your information.
- Your rights regarding my use of your personal information and my contact details
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
- You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
- Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
- You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
How to Contact Me
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Melanie Oliver, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at: email@example.com.