There is something very precious about spending some time in the early months of a new year reflecting on the year just passed, to see what we have learned and where we would love to go in the future. What lessons can we take with us? Which areas have we grown the most? Sitting down with questions like these can really help to shift things into perspective, highlight the areas where we would like to grow and what we would like to let go of in order to move forward. The best thing is that you don’t even need any fancy materials either – a simple notebook and pen will do just fine. Just grab a hot cup of tea, cuddle up with some relaxing music and spend some time snuggled up with your journal.
Here are a few journaling prompts to get you started:
- If I could describe 2020 in 3 words, what would they be?
- How have I grown since this time last year?
- What 5 things would I love to see happen this coming year?
- Are there any activities or hobbies that I can make more time for?
- Spend some time reflecting on the year just passed – what am I most thankful for?
- What is my biggest regret?
- What do I wish I had done more of?
- Are there any lessons that I can learn from last year?
- What was my most joyful moment?
- Where did I experience growth in my life?
- Where would I like to see more growth in my future?
- Are there any areas that I would like to improve on?
- Which are the areas in my life that I feel more content and confident with right now?
- If I could describe last year in one sentence, what would it be?
- If I could accomplish one thing in this coming year, what would it be?
- Where do I feel abundance and gratitude most in my life?
- Are there any emotions or feelings that I am holding on to that I would love to let go of moving into the New Year?
- Are there any emotions or feelings that I may need to spend a little more time exploring?
- If I could choose one word to focus on this year, what would it be?
- If I could go anywhere this year, where would I go and what would I do?
- What are my biggest dreams that I would love to see happen in my life this year?
- Who are a few people I would love to connect more with this year?
- Name 3 positive habits that I feel would be really helpful to add into my routine this year
- What are 5 things I am most grateful for moving into the 2021?
- What is the biggest takeaway from 2020 that I have learned and wish to take into 2021?
You don’t need to use all of them; this is just a few to get you started! Even if you just choose your favourite 2 or 3 to get you writing, with no pressure. Which ones have you found most helpful?